Friday, August 19, 2011

Let's Chat a While

This was written at a prompt from Nina Pelletier (http://writingofanovel.blogspot.com/). The prompt was to write a 500 word or less piece about what a character thought of you. This is my response.
I sat down at the small table. There was a light breeze rustling through the cobblestone streets, chilling a cloudy day. The perfect day for a pleasant cafe meeting. He was making me wait, of course; I expected that. He likes his control.

I take a sip of my coffee.

'Enjoying yourself?" he asks, sitting in a relaxed position in the wire-wrought chair across from me.

There had been no announcement. There rarely was. He liked to show off; it made him happy. Besides, it wasn't like he was in any danger.

"Always." I reply, smiling. "It's coffee."

He rolls his eyes.

Today he wore a business suit; simple, black and elegant, complete with tie and white dress shirt. It clashed with his hair; long and red with orange highlights, where he had gotten his name.

"Why am I here?" he asked, straight and to the point. "And is there anything stronger than coffee?"

"Not strong enough. Not for you, anyway." I answer.

He sighs. "There rarely is."

"You're here to tell me what you think of me."

He laughs. "As if there's anything new about that!"

"There is this time." I reply."This time others will get to hear you."

"O, well that's different." he says, crossing his legs. "In that case..."

I stop, set down my cup, and breathe.

"I think you try to hard. I think you have this little game you play with yourself, sometimes pretending you're a pervert or an asshole. I don't think you give yourself enough credit for what you are, and I don't think you know where the act ends and you begin."

"Hush."

"See? I told you."

"Whatever."

And then I was along with my coffee and my thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. How fun. Will definitely be keeping an eye on stuff like this. Thanks for sharing :) btw, I like your character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you like to know more about him? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WONDERFUL! I most certainly would like to know more about this character! Very engaging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amusing and very interesting. It takes a lot to be able to step outside of yourself and look objectively. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you muchly for all the lovely compliments :)

    ReplyDelete