Monday, May 14, 2012

Respect the Craft

There are crafters who do commisions. They make their living doing that, because they have a unique skill and style that few people understand or have time to learn.

How many writers do you know that can do that? Aside from, you know, best-sellers. Those already well established in their craft.

People get it in their heads that writing is not a craft; it is something taken for granted. It is expected that you can write; it is not expected of you to be able to make mold or jewelry or pottery.

I find this rather irritating, personally. It is true that anyone can write; but the mere fact that so many people take it for granted means that those who put the effort into doing it well are few and far between.

I'm not saying everyone should love my work. Hell, I'm not asking for commissions. All I'm saying is: respect the craft, respect the person behind the craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment